Here’s a quick post to instruct you on how to start a Toyota BJ40. These are diesel so they don’t start like normal gas powered vehicles. And they don’t start like modern diesel engines either.
Starting the engine
- Insert Key –
- Turn key backwards and hold it there for at least 30 seconds. This is warming the engine.
- Pull choke – It is located on the column right in front of the key. Pull it almost all the way out
- Make sure Engine Kill is pushed into the dash. – See below for engine stopping instructions.
- Turn over engine like a normal vehicle
- IF IT DOESN’T START, don’t lay on the starter for long. You will kill the battery.
- Repeat 1-5 if it doesn’t start
Once it starts
- The choke is out so the engine will rev to a high rpm
- Push choke in a bit at a time over the first 2 – 3 minutes
- Once choke is all the way in and the engine is idling normally, it is ready to drive
Stopping the engine
Land Cruiser keys can be taken out of the column and the engine won’t stop. You can turn the key all you want and it doesn’t kill the engine. The engine is stopped by pulling a lever which stops the flow of fuel. That lever is towards the middle of the dash. You have to pull that to stop the engine. Remember to push it back to start it the next time you want to ride.